Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Butterfly

Today is 12-12-12... what, for me, is the beginning of getting ready for a new way of life.  I don't expect anything dramatic to happen on 12-21-12... at least not at first.  Though we may be in a new astrological time, past the Mayan calendar, in a shift in consciousness... I imagine life is going to feel pretty much the same after 12-21-12.  That's just my belief, and where I'm coming from here.

Anyway, I'm seeing 12-12-12 as a time to begin my own shift.  From the life I've had... the alignments I've had... to a new way of living my life that's more satisfying.  Just like I don't expect much to change in the "outside" world, I don't expect my inner shift to be all that dramatic either.  I'm just ready to take the steps that need to happen for there to be less arguing and strife and drama in my life, and more enjoyable moments that feed me and my family.

With that in mind, I decided to align with butterfly for this season.  She's beautiful... that butterfly... how she can transform her body and life from that of the caterpillar to that of the butterfly.  Seemingly... it's a whole new animal... that eats different food, has a different mode of movement, a completely different body... and yet, is truly the same individual that she was before... her essence remains steady.  Each of her cells contained the DNA that manifests one way (caterpillar)... or the other (butterfly)... and a shift happens in between... turning on things that had been dormant... and turning off some things that had been active.  And the essence of her... it is on in both forms... her heart still beats... her digestion is still there... blood still flows.


So today, I did a ritual a bit like that.  I made a paper cloak that I wrote old things on that I no longer want to be part of my life... judgment, resentment, shame...


...and I burned it.  I released it to the power of fire to transmute.


Then, once it was released, I cleansed myself (my arms and face) to clean out the residues... to bring myself back to the essence of my center.


And then I sang and I danced... first in letting go and shedding... and then the other way... building my cocoon for the next 11 days.


I finished this ritual feeling hopeful and cleansed... open to what is building up to the equinox.  I have plans for that day too... my family included.  This cocoon thing... this is just for me... to be conscious of my own intentions for transformation, both within and without.

Blessings this transformational season!

Oh... and I had to leave this post to go get my kids from school... and I saw a rainbow!  Wow... what an afternoon!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Jill! This is so beautiful! I love your interpretation of butterfly and her journey of transformation. So powerful to translate that into a ceremony celebrating the shedding of the old to dance with a new, lighter and radiate body. I think butterfly perfectly encapsulates my impression of you: for while we think of butterflies as delicate, they really are quite strong in that the monarch travels such great distances and it is a journey requiring generations to complete it. (I did not know that until reading a book with my girl! One monarch may start out in Pennsylvania, it's offspring continue from the Midwest to Texas and the grandchild complete the journey from there to Mexico.) So strength, endurance, connection and great grace and beauty. Yup, that's you!

    So grateful to be moving through these circles with you. Aho! xo Lis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny... one of my favorite things about living where I do is that monarchs over-winter here near the ocean. It's a magical place. Thank you Lis!

    ReplyDelete