Friday, December 3, 2010

Winter garden

Well, I finally got the first half of my winter garden into the ground. I started the seeds back in September... but as with every year I get busy, and I can't bear to tear up the tomatoes until they're really good and dead. So, every year my winter garden goes in late and doesn't tend to do much.

The one thing that's a bit different this year is that I'm communicating with the nature spirits about the garden. I intend fully, to have them plan what will be part of my summer garden, where it goes, and how I tend to it... but for the winter I already had seedlings going. So, I went out there and asked what soil supplements I needed (compost, egg shells, and humic, in case you're wondering)... and I showed them what seedlings I have. I asked for help in organizing it and this is what I got...


We have shelling peas around a trellis, lettuce (red) in the lower right corner of the pic, two broccoli plants, one in the front left and one in the far right, with a few cilantro plants near the lettuce. Oh... and I put in some carrot seeds in the square created by cilantro and lettuce. I have another bed this size, and it will get the potatoes, more carrots, and broccoli.

I like the little space... it felt good as I was doing it. I knew that I had put quite a few constraints on the garden by having some things already going... but I also offered up a bunch of flower seeds that I have... nasturtium, sweet pea, california poppy... but those were all rejected for this space in this moment. I plan to connect with the nature spirits at least once a week to see how things are going... but we'll see how that pans out... it looks like it's going to be a busy winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment