Monday, August 15, 2011

Back to school...

Oh goodness... it's time to go back to school next week. I'm not excited. I'd prefer to have the kids with me... to go do all the fun things that were on my list for summer that we did not get around to doing. Sigh. Besides. I'm just not much of a morning person.

It's just starting to get warm in my neck of the woods... summer is always foggy and cool. And this year has been more than most. For goodness sake... I haven't even harvested a ripe tomato yet.
I bring this up here because I have to admit that I'm just not feeling the harvest festival cycle that started on August 1st. Honestly, I'm thinking I might have to rearrange the sabbats so that they make sense to me. I don't suppose anyone would notice (as I'm a solitary... and I don't do rituals all that much anyway). But somehow it seems dishonest... as the wheel of the year is supposed to be the one thing that unites pagans... right? If I give that up it feels like I'm just a lone person on my own anyway... so what's the point.

(Isn't this beautiful though? Makes me want to redouble my efforts to fit into the pagan wheel of the year...
I found this at evolvefish.com if you're interested in a sticker version of it)

I suppose I could commit myself to the lunar cycles... as that's more my calling anyway... but ignoring the seasons seems unfair even to me. I just don't know... I think it's going to take some real thinking... figuring out what's important to me, what kind of yearly rituals I want to have, which ones will strike enough of a chord with me that I'll follow through. The way things are right now I just feel guilty for missing those sabbats as they pass me by.
(I actually like this graphic too... the author says he or she uses it as a baseline to add more symbols...
and I liked the designs on his/her flickr page...)

So... I guess I really wish I had another month of summer left... to play with the kidlets and just be mellow. But here we are... and it's time for me to exercise that old addage that constantly comes my way: Go with the flow!

3 comments:

  1. I am counting down the days until school starts. I love my Littleman, but I've had enough 24/7 together time. We're both over each other.

    I wrote a blog post about the The Wheel and how different someone in Florida may celebrate as opposed to someone in Maine. Obviously, Imbolc in both places is very very different. I think it's the tuning into the energy of the day where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Dark Mother about the Wheel. I just celebrate the aspects of it that resonate with me for the season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. School is getting ready to start here too....and my daughter and I aren't morning people either....so we are both not looking forward to it. I find what you said about The Wheel very interesting....I feel the same way about some of it...and I am definitely pulled more toward the Moon and it's cycles.....something to ponder.

    ReplyDelete