Thursday, September 1, 2011

New friends...

So, I'm settling in to the idea that my kids go to school. They're insanely happy and doing extremely well. I guess I have to stop wanting them to stay home and keep me company. I gotta find something to do. Well, as it turns out... I'm making good friends with the tarot deck I bought on a whim over the summer. It's the Sun and Moon Tarot by Vanessa Decort.

I think it's just because I LOVE the pictures... so simple and elegant... and definitely modern.


Each of the minor arcana have their own feel... corresponding to their element.

And though they're simple, it feels to me that most of the time I can get to the gist of what the card is about.

I think that maybe when you are starting out with tarot... too much symbolism isn't helpful... it just detracts from the message. I guess what I'm saying is, that I'm a beginner at tarot, and it's possible that these simple pictures speak to me because they're simple too.

Or maybe I'm just a sucker for the color palette... ahhh...

I'm choosing a card each day, and trying to find the vibration of that card in events as I move through my life... trying to get in touch with each card's energy.

I also did a quick online basics course by Joan Bunning that was helpful. I never really understood the Celtic Cross spread before, and now it makes tons more sense and I even like it!

I also bought a book that I'm just starting called Tarot for Your Self by Mary Greer, that I believe is a staple in learning to do tarot work. I like the book because I appreciate the card meanings in the back... as the drawback to the Sun and Moon deck is that it just comes with a little pamphlet of meanings... which I find to be nearly useless. The other drawback to the deck that you may have noticed, is that the pip cards all have words at the top. I suspect that the intention was to help you out with the meaning... but I don't agree with some of them... and that just makes the cards harder to read, rather than easier.

All in all I'm loving the deck... and finding that it is very helpful when I need some insight in order to stop a cycle of behavior. I finally have a connection with a deck that I had so longed for. YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment