Monday, August 23, 2010

Lavender...

Mmmm... lavender... this is one of my all time favorite plants. I have it in my garden for one thing... and that's always convenient, I love the smell, and in my mild climate it blooms for much of the year. Or maybe that's because I have a couple of different varieties, I don't know.

Anyway, right now I'm drying a bunch... and I actually really love the way it makes my living room look and smell... part of me is thinking of leaving it there! Not really... but at face value it doesn't seem like a terrible idea!

My plans for it are:

1. To make some sachets to put between the cushions of my couch... so that every time you sit down on it you create good smells, and for putting in the dryer with clothes (those dryer sheets are no good, but I do like a nice smell in my clothes).

2. To make a few Christmas gifts... I know my mom really likes lavender... so maybe a pretty throw pillow, or a nice potpourri...

3. Roll a few softened beeswax tapers in lavender for beauty and nice smells for the holidays

And here are a few more ideas...

Lavender has long been associated with love, peace, healing, and sleep. It relaxes the mind and body, and therefore is good to use in soaps (which according to Kate West author of The Real Witches' Garden will also assist in quickly healing typical gardening scrapes! I'm going to try that!). It can be used in sachets for any time you need to feel grounded and safe. I used lavender in a back-to-school sachet that I made with the kids last year. They kept them in their backpacks... and I don't know if it helped them, but it helped me the first day of school!

Apparently smelling the scent of lavender can lift the spirits. One way to do this is to burn the stalks in a fire after removing the "pods" from the flower. The stalks can also be used as incense sticks after they're fully dried. I am DEFINITELY trying that with what I have hanging... and here I thought I was just going to throw them away!

When made into an oil or balm it can be used to treat bruises, aches, and pains. Lavender water can be dabbed onto "pulse points" to ease headaches, anxiety and depression. Lavender in sachets can repel moths, induce sleep, and nurture gentle dreams.

*Lavender uses from Kate West's The Real Witches' Garden and Scott Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs

No comments:

Post a Comment